Saturday, January 31, 2009

Light Chocolate


lite chocolate
Originally uploaded by gravityx9
I found this photo humorous and hope you will, too.

In the past decade, chocolate has caused quite the stir as various findings announce benefits including anything from mimicking the euphoria of falling in love to possible reduction in blood pressure and decrease in symptoms of Chronic Fatigue.

So, what about light chocolate? Generally, I am a skeptic of anything listed as light as the substitutions are usually synthetic, which doesn't bode well for long-term consumption, and/or they have a larger dose of sweetener. But for kicks, I thought I'd put aside my skepticism and do a little research on the matter. This is what I found:

When cooking, applesauce appears to be the number one substitute for butter as in this Martha Stewart recipe for brownies or in the case of mousse, use a combination of egg whites with egg yolks and a reduced fat milk as in this Cooking Light recipe

In terms of chocolate itself, you're best off reducing the amount you intake versus going with the alternatives. But I welcome your feedback.

Surprise me. Turn me onto a low-fat chocolate bar that you find as irresistible as its pleasantly plump counterparts and I'll add it to this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment