Sunday, January 25, 2009

Do Tootsie Rolls Count?

Introduced to Europe/European chocolate at the age of five, spoiled by sweetness ever since. I have, on occasion and under the influence of fever, sworn off cacao but always returned to my senses/my emergency stash of usually 70% (although I am a sucker for Lindt.)

As a die-hard fan of fantastic chocolate, I wish to believe that Tootsie Rolls, in fact, do not count. I have been amazed at my fellow chocolate lovers who would not only admit to liking them but would place them in a category of chocolate-like foods, that in their minds, redeems the Tootsie Roll because it is not trying to be chocolate. They would also add carob to this category while I, again, would dismiss carob on its basis of being a poseur or some substance that moms in Green Halloween districts give the Trick-or-Treaters along with packets of granola and toothbrushes and pennies.

Obviously, I am outing myself. But you tell me what you think. Take the poll. Tell me that the Tootsie Roll is something other than a cheap way to fill those plastic orange pumpkins we used to carry around instead of . . .well, plastic bags on Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment